Thursday, July 07, 2005

Done and Done

So, the script is done and it took all of two days. I thought, and mulled and scrapped and invented and deleted and cursed and asked and ignored and read and watched for 4 weeks. Last Thursday while searching through my script archive I came across an idea that was poignant last week but even more so after the events that took place today in London.
I wrote the first 45 pages at my in-laws house this past Sunday (what else is there to do in Central Pennsylvania) and the second 45 pages Tuesday.
I think it's quite good (if I do say so myself). My DP just phoned me (he just finished reading it) and he thought it was outstanding. So...
We are auditioning actors a week from yesterday and rolling camera 3 weeks from tomorrow. My partner from England is going to fly over for half the shoot to get a little hands on filmmaking experience so that should be a lot of fun.

I think I am going to keep a production diary for this one so I will post those at the end of each three day section of the shoot (we are shooting Fridays -Sundays starting on 7/29). It's a 12 day shoot and we will be trying to shoot between 7 & 9 pages a day.

For those of you who don't understand any of this, in film terms, a page of script is roughly a minute of screen time. Except for when it's not. In the script for "Gone With The Wind", the burning of Atlanta took up exactly 1/8 of a page (script pages are broken up into 1/8's, a half a page being 4/8's you do the math). So in the script it said "ATLANTA BURNS". I can tell you that it took a lot more than a minute of screen time. But I digress.

7 to 9 pages a day is a lot if you are shooting a Hollywood movie, but it's about average if you are shooting a no budget 90 page script in 12 days.

So, hopefully, you will get a little inside look into the process of making no budget indie film. It may bore you. It may fascinate you, it may even inspire you to make you're own movie.
OR,
no one may read this and it's just for me. As that is why am making this film (just for me) then that's OK too.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I watched the filming. It was tough on a lot of people. Hot weather, rain. I thought Charlie was great. The woman who played Carol Ann really hung in there.

When is the film coming out? Any ideas?